Tip of the Month
Write us with your comments and suggestions.
Its almost kidding time, so we thought we'd write a little more about the schedule of chores related to raising healthy kids.
- After kidding time, place doe and kid(s) into kidding pen. If the kid is to be bottle fed, separate the doe and kid at this time.
- Check the doe's udder and make certain that the teats are open and that colostrum is present. Wash the udder with soap and water.
- Make sure that the kid(s) nurses or that she receives a bottle of colostrum if you plan to bottle feed. It is vital that the kid(s) receives colostrum as soon as possible.
- Apply iodine to the navel of kid(s) (to prevent joint ill).
- Give kid(s) clostridium CD antitoxin if the doe was not vaccinated prior to kidding.
- Inject kid(s) with vitamin E and selenium (subcutaneously)to prevent floppy kid syndrome.
- Use a towel, heat lamp, or hair dryer, if needed, to dry off the kid(s). Don't overdo this, but make certain the kid(s) is dry - particularly in cold weather.
- Start production records - weigh kid(s), tattoo, and record the data in your farm records.
- If your doe is a good milker, consider stripping out the colostrum after 24 hours and heat-treating and freezing the excess.
1 Week After Kidding
- Set up a creep close to the place where the does normally travel. In the creep you should:
- Start kid(s) on a high protein, palatable ration.
- Place a light or heat source over the creep area (Use common sense. DO NOT CREATE A FIRE HAZARD!!)
- Provide bright, leafy, legume hay in the kid area.
- Keep the creep area well-bedded, dry, and clean.
- Protect the feeders so the kid(s) can't clomp through with their nasty, muddy (or worse) feet.
- Provide the kids fresh, clean water at all times.
- Disbud kids. Administer tetanus antitoxin at this time.
- Castrate those males who will not be sold or used as herd sires. Remember - keep and/or sell only those bucks from superior stock.
- Prevent fecal contamination of feed and/or water in order to avoid parasites, especially coccidia.
30 Days After Kidding
- Vaccinate kid(s) with clostridium CD and tetanus toxoids.
- Give a booster 3-5 weeks later. This booster should be given before weaning.
This brief listing should give you one possible timetable for raising your kids. To find other hints on raising your kids, click on our "Archive" button (above), and then peruse through the topics for the one)s) you might need. Good luck and good kidding.